Friday, November 13, 2009

Gas Mileage

About a month ago I decided to start obeying a law that I've struggled with in the past.

Pretty much everyone breaks this law, but that doesn't mean that it's ok.

What law am I talking about?

The speed limit.

So now as you're cruising down the freeway, and there's a slow person "in your way", that slow person is me.

Usually I stick to the right lanes, but sometimes there are people going slower than 65mph in the slow lane (trucks, old people, etc.) so sometimes I get into the middle lane, and even the fast lane depending on traffic.  But I don't go over 65.

I'm sure I've made some people extremely angry.  But guess what?  I don't care.

Here are the benefits I've received just by going 5 miles per hour slower than I have in the past.

1. Gas mileage.
This is the most important one!  I drive 90+ miles a day.  Gas isn't cheap.  Therefore better gas mileage = less money spent on gas.
Before I started this experiment, my gas mileage was 33mpg.  Pretty good, right?  Especially considering the size of my car, and that it's NOT a hybrid.  My gas mileage is now 37mpg.   37!!  Beat that suckas!  Odd since my car was advertised as having 32mpg highway.  I totally rule, just fyi.  This means that I now can go between 500 and 530 miles on a full tank of gas, when before it was around 400.  That's one extra day of work!  Seriously, I'm so stoked.

2. Stress.
Are you calm driving down the road, swerving in and out of cars, yelling at slow people in front of you, upset at traffic jams, etc., etc.?  Didn't think so.  I'm completely calm, cruising down the slow lane.... rarely getting cut off, rarely having to slow down (since nobody really drives in the slow lane...).

Guys, come on!  I drive from Provo to 106th South every day!  That's past point of the mountain, AND a few construction zones.  Seriously, if you've been near 106th south, you'll know the construction there is a mess!  Stress free.  Stress free and LOVING it!

3. On time
I have NOT been late.  Except for that one time when there was a traffic jam back to Bangeter....  those stink, and the construction doesn't help.  But being late once in a month?  I think that's good.  Guess what else?  I don't leave any earlier now than I did before I started doing this.

How does that work?  Well it's called being blessed for obeying the laws of the land.

1 comment:

  1. K, I'm going to start doing this too. Last night we were driving home from Orem and I was constantly tailgated in the faster lanes, and that was with me going 80 mph. I could certainly use less stress, and yeah...it's the law.

    ReplyDelete