Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Today in the Scriptures

I've once again started to read the Book of Mormon.

I have not ever finished it on my own.  This is something I am not proud of, but I know that it's never too late to start.

Today I'm on 1 Nephi 5.  I read about Sariah complaining to her husband, Lehi.  She was pretty much nagging him, and even mocked him a little bit.  I also read about how Lehi reacted.

Verse 6: And after this manner of language did my father, Lehi, comfort my mother, Sariah.

Sariah said some not-so-nice things to Lehi and instead of arguing back or proving his point he comforted her.  I need to be more like this.  When someone comes at me in a mean way, I shouldn't respond in the same way.  I should respond calmly, with kindness.

If you know me, I've never responded to rude people in a kind way.  If someone does something or says something that upsets me, my face gets red and hot, and my head spins (or at least, it feels like it's spinning) and I spout out some angry retort that is usually belittling to the other person.

I need to be more like Lehi.

1 comment: