Monday, March 4, 2013

Dressing Your Truth

My sister in law, Katie, let me borrow a book: Dressing Your Truth - Discover Your Personal Beauty Profile.

Wow. Just, wow. I have never, ever, in my life felt so completely understood.

I've always been told I was too negative, critical, serious, and blunt. My mom always complained that I am never excited about the gifts I get. I've also always been self conscious of all this, as it has always been negative feedback.

This book has opened my eyes to a new light. I'm not negative and critical. Other people see me that way because I have a talent for perfecting things. I can see what needs to be done to make something better, or more efficient.

I am a serious person. That does not mean I cannot laugh and have fun. It does mean that I cannot fake emotion well, which I have tried to do for years. I can't pretend to like someone or something. I cannot pretend to be excited and happy if I am not.  I hate opening gifts in front of others because if I don't like it, I'm terrible at pretending I do! In the past, trying to pretend, trying to be happy when I'm not, has probably made me seem fake, because, well, it was.

I will tell you what I honestly think, if you let me. I don't enjoy going around and hurting people's feelings, but gosh, some people are stupid and I just don't understand why they aren't smarter! I do see myself as smarter and better than other people. Not everyone, but yes, a lot of people. I am overly critical to others.

I can be told a rule, or law, or the "right way" to do something just one time and I will remember it forever. But, only if it was told to me by someone who I see has authority, or someone who I feel has earned my respect, or someone I look up to. This way of thinking can be arrogant, I know. But deep down, if I don't respect you, I don't really care what you have to say. Let me rephrase that... if I don't respect you, I will take your advice or whatever information you are giving me with a grain of salt, and make sure I thoroughly research it before accepting it as truth.  Of course I still have conversations with anyone, and I do truly care about you as a person whether or not I see you as superior.

In fashion, I enjoy wearing unique items. I am not quick to follow fashion trends, and I can't stand someone wearing the same thing as I am. If you have personally experienced a time where we were wearing matching items, I apologize, as I was probably very rude, cold or blunt.

Also in fashion, and home decor, I value quality over quantity. If you came to my house you would see several bare walls. This is because of several reasons. One because I won't hang up decor unless it will be perfect. Second because I don't own decor unless it is high quality and striking, which tends to be expensive. And speaking of money, I will save for something I love, rather than splurge on something that is good enough.

This is me. I have had an extreme breakthrough, and I'm not going to try to fake things anymore. I need to be myself. I recognize some of my flaws, and I know I have more flaws that I have not yet recognized.

I am arrogant. I am a know it all. I am critical. I am a perfectionist. I will no longer see these as flaws, because they aren't flaws as long as I can control and balance them properly. But, other people need to see and understand me for who I am. If I have offended you, let me know! I appreciate and value honest feedback and thrive on working through my differences with others.

I strongly recommend this book to all women.  What do you dislike about yourself? What are you self conscious of?  Can you see it in a new light?  Can you be yourself?  Can you embrace your truth?

1 comment:

  1. YAY! I'm so glad you are happy being you now! It's so liberating! And you totally look SO great in the type 4 clothes!

    ReplyDelete