Monday, May 5, 2014

Ft. Lauderdale Temple Dedication

President Uchtdorf said to write about this experience in my journal. I don't keep a private journal, so here you go! :)

Ft. Lauderdale Florida Temple. Picture from: http://www.ldschurchtemples.com

Many wards in the area got the opportunity to witness the Ft. Lauderdale temple dedication this past Sunday.  We did not have any regular church meetings. Instead, any baptized members who are 8 and older were able to receive tickets to attend one of three live broadcasts at the Stake Center.

Lance planned to go the 9am session while I stayed home with Lily, and I planned to go to the 12:00 session while Lance stayed home with Lily.  Lance went to the 9am session and really enjoyed it. He got home around 11. I was running behind due to sleeping in, mixed with the difficulties of getting ready with a 2 year old  hanging on you, running away with items you need, and crying for random reasons.  I left the house at 11:35am.

I got the the church at exactly 12:00, and went to the east doors.  They were locked.  I went to the north doors, they were also locked, but I saw a sign saying to go to the west doors.  I went over to the west doors and there was a sign saying, "Doors locked. Temple dedication."

So I missed it.

I'm certain that if I had gone to the west side first I would have been able to get into this session.  So, annoyed, disappointed, and somewhat angry, I drove home.

When I got home I talked to Lance about skipping it all together and just going to the beach.  But, I really wanted to go, so I left home at 2:00 for the 3:00 session.  I got there at 2:20, and was able to sit in the front and watch a slideshow of pictures of temples around the world.

Ft. Lauderdale Florida Temple. Picture from: http://www.ldschurchtemples.com


Temples are gorgeous.

As I sat there waiting, I thought about the past temple dedications I've had the opportunity to witness.  It occurred to me that this was a big deal and it was a special privilege.  In Utah, there are so many temples, and a few of them are brand new, but I did not have the opportunity to witness their dedications.

Mt. Timpanogos Utah Temple. Picture from: http://www.ldschurchtemples.com
 
I witnessed the Mt. Timpanogos temple dedication in 1996. I was 8 years old, and I lived in Santaquin, Utah.  I barely remember it.  I remember waving a white handkerchief around. I don't remember being with my family. For some reason I picture myself sitting with my childhood friend, Camille Parsons (now Camille Evans).  I'm sure this is skewed, but I'll have to ask my mom about it.  Mt. Timpanogos is the only temple I remember walking through the open house that happens in the weeks before the dedication. As an 8 year old child, I didn't fully understand why temples were so special, but I could feel something special.  I told my mom that I would be married in the Timpanogos temple.

Jordan River Utah Temple. Picture from: http://www.ldschurchtemples.com

However, I wasn't married there.  I decided to get married in the Jordan River, Utah temple (because of stupid reasons).  I thought it was newer.  The joke was on me!  The Jordan River temple was dedicated in 1981.  It's still a lovely temple, but I wished I had stayed true to my 8 year old dream. That would be a better story for why I chose the temple I did. :-)  I did get my endowment at the Timpanogos temple, though.

Nauvoo Illinois Temple. Picture from: http://www.ldschurchtemples.com


I had the opportunity to witness the Nauvoo Illinois temple dedication in 2002, but for some reason I didn't go.  Looking back, I wish I had made more of an effort to make it to that dedication.  I can imagine how special it was, and I'm sure the spirits of all the pioneers who sacrificed for the original Nauvoo temple were there to witness the dedication of the reconstruction.  I bet Joseph Smith was there, too.

When I was 8 or 9 my family took a trip to Nauvoo, and I did see where the temple used to be (before they rebuilt it).  This is how I remember it:

Nauvoo Illinois Temple Original Foundation. Picture from: www.mrm.org




During the Ft. Lauderdale temple dedication, I had many thoughts and impressions.

Temples are important. Their purpose is to seal on earth and in heaven.  Because of temples we can be together as families in the Celestial Kingdom.  Temples are a "halfway" place between our mortal existence and God.  It is the "closest" you can get to heaven while on Earth.  The things you learn there will be important for this earthly life as well as the life to come.

One of the speakers shared a quote that I really liked. I can't quote it word for word, but it said that those who share sacred things about the temple do not truly understand them.

I know I have probably shared more than I should have, or talked too casually about sacred ordinances in the temple, so I'm going to be better about that.

Orlando Florida Temple. Picture from: http://www.ldschurchtemples.com

I've taken temples for granted.  I have never lived farther than 45 minutes from a temple.  In Utah, that's obvious. But in Raleigh I was not very far away, and now here in Kissimmee, I am not very far away in comparison to many other people.  What are the odds that I would move 45 minutes away from the (then) only temple in Florida?  How amazing is that!  And do I go often enough?  No.  I should go more. I want to go more. I need to go more.

My final thought was that the Hosanna shout is so awkward. I'm not sure I understand why we do it at each temple dedication.  It was done at the Kirtland, Ohio temple dedication, which was the first temple constructed since the LDS church was restored.  The Kirtland temple however, is not owned or operated by the LDS church. It now belongs to the Community of Christ.  But I mean, shouting hosanna and waving a handkerchief around just makes me feel silly.  I suppose this is something I should learn more about as it has to be significant or we wouldn't be doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment