Monday, March 22, 2010

Insanity - Day 50

Hello Friends!

I've decided to give you an in-depth update of my workout progress.

This month I decided to "get through" the workouts in a different way than I did last month.  Last month I turned on a DVD and just sloshed through as much as I could, which progressed as the weeks went by, but it was all based on how much I thought I could do.  I found myself only giving it half of what I really could, just so I could last the entire time.  This month I decided to put a little bit more structure into it.

The videos are all circuit training.  You have a circuit of anywhere from 5 to 10 different "moves" or exercises and you repeat the circuit of exercises three times each, with a 30 second rest between each circuit.  For example...

Today's warm up (each lasts for 45 seconds):
Jog
Jumping jacks
Heisman
Side to side jump rope
High knees (really, I mean really gets your abs if you do it correctly)
Hit the floor (similar to suicides....)
Side to side floor hops (reminds me of "bucking broncos" I used to do on the trampoline as a child... not as easy nor as much fun now though...)

Then you repeat that circuit two more times, increasing your speed and/or intensity each time.  So your third time through you don't start with a jog you start with a sprint.  Yeah, it hurts....especially if you had McDonald's and/or soda the day before.

The warm up doesn't give you a thirty second rest between each circuit.  So you're going for a good 10 minutes to get warmed up.  It took me four weeks to finally be able to get through a warm up without stopping!

Anyway, so you have your warm up circuit, then three other circuits in a workout.  Now... on to my point.

This month instead of sloshing through and being burnt out before my third repeat of my first circuit, I've paced myself.  The first week I went three times through the warm up, then only two times through the remaining three circuits.  The second week I went three times through the warm up, three times through the first circuit, and only two times through the remaining two circuits.  This week... Three times through everything except my last circuit.  So I'm only shaving off three minutes out of my total workout.  It's still really, really, really hard, but I have noticed myself improving and progressing a lot more than I did last month.  This may be due to my changed eating habits, also, but whatever it is it is totally working.  Next week I will go through the entire workout without stopping. (*crosses fingers*)

Here's what I have noticed this month:

1. My abs stay flexed practically all day without me even thinking about it!  I use the tips that Shaun gives in the videos (such as, "Lift with your abs!  Use your core!) everywhere I go.  When I go up the stairs, I jog and I lift with my abs.  I've really noticed a difference there.

2. Soda tastes disgusting to me.  I gave myself Saturdays to "cheat" on my "diet" but I've found myself not wanting to cheat.  Water tastes soooo much better!

3. I have so much more energy at work.  I'm able to focus and concentrate better on what I'm doing.  I don't get overwhelmed and stressed out as easily.

4. Overall I am just happier!

5. I am sore right now, but I love it!

After I'm finished with Insanity I'm not sure what I will do.  I feel like I am somewhat addicted to working out now.  Also I'm afraid of what my body will do if I just stop exercising.  I'm thinking about trying ChaLEAN Extreme... but I'll worry about that when I get there.

Breakfast today tasted like Jamba Juice!  Mmmm... I LOVE Jamba Juice!  Here's what I had:
1 cup of frozen mixed fruit (pineapple, mango, grapes, strawberries)
1/2 cup of greek yogurt
1 cup of orange juice
Blended together!

I accidently made too much, and I'm still drinking it.... 4 hours later.  Whoops!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Jenn! You make me wish I could workout hard right now too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay jenjo! You are getting bu'uff!
    I loooooove your new blog layout, by the way.

    ReplyDelete