Friday, January 2, 2015

Thanksgiving Weekend

We had some very special visitors this year (last year) for Thanksgiving.  My dad, sister Jessica, brother Jared and his wife Adree made the long trip down the eastern coast to visit us.  We felt really special and happy.

As posted before, I cheated for Thanksgiving and ordered from Boston Market.  The food was fabulous, and it saved prep time and cook time, but it was equally as difficult trying to figure out where to heat everything up, and keep it hot simultaneously.  With 1 oven, 1 microwave, and two crock pots, it was tricky, but we made it happen, and I think dinner turned out wonderfully.

I stole pictures that my dad posted on Google+ because I am terrible about taking photos.  Let's just say I'm more of a "be in the moment" rather than a "remember the moment" person.  Of course I regret not taking pictures later, so thank you, Dad, for taking so many pictures of our weekend together!

We tried to get a nice photo with everyone, but failed. Miserably. The lighting is off, and my dad is cut out. Winning!

Thanks Dad for taking a picture of the table. (Adree, I'm sorry you're mid-blink.)

Jared is so photogenic.

After Thanksgiving dinner, we went over the Lakefront (?) Park. There was a Muslim gathering that appeared to be a wedding reception.  There was a group of men praying, facing east. It was very cool to see.

Here we are walking toward the playground. This park is really nice. There is a ton of grassy area, a playground (one at the time of this photo, but now there are two playgrounds), a few pavilions, and of course, a lake. One time Lance and I saw an otter catch a duck, and then we watched it eat the duck. Very cool!

On Friday we decided to take everyone to Downtown Disney. Downtown Disney (soon to be named "Disney Springs") is an area on the Disney property that doesn't require park admission. It's mostly shops and restaurants. There is a large lake where you can ride the boats for free. The plan was to eat at Earl of Sandwich, but the line was crazy long so we just walked around.

At the Lego store. Both Woody and Buzz are made of 100% legos.

This is one of my favorite stores, Basin. They sell natural products for health and beauty. My favorite items are the soaps and bath bombs. (Jared looks like he has been Photoshopped into the picture.)

There is a hand washing station where you can try their bath scrubs. They smell wonderful. My dad put it best when he said, "Anywhere you can wash your hands gets my stamp of approval." Lily LOVES Basin. She has to smell every single soap that is on display. The soaps smell wonderful, but they also have designs in them such as flip flops, Mickey Mouse shapes, flowers, a castle, paw prints, etc.

This is us on the free boat ride. Notice the "Floridians" are wearing jackets, and everyone else is not. It was in the upper 60s or low 70s.

After Downtown Disney we decided to go swimming at Jared and Adree's place. They were staying at a condo that is privately owned, but rented out. It was really nice! The pool was heated, but I didn't think it was warm enough outside to swim.

We went swimming again the next day, and I did join in. However, I did get sick. Haha! :) So I stand by my statement that it was not warm enough to swim.



Inside Jared and Adree's place.


We also were able to show my family the best Mexican restaurant I have EVER been to. It's called El Tenampa. The prices are reasonable, and the food is amazing. The guacamole can compete with my sister, Elise's. (That means it's bangin'!)  Beware though, the parking lot looks like somewhere you don't ever want to be after dark. If you can get past that, you'll enjoy your meal. The inside of the restaurant is clean, and warm (as in welcoming), and friendly. Some nights they have a mariachi band playing.

At El Tenampa restaurant
I can't remember which day, but while we were trying to decide where to go or what to do, we stood out by the pond at our complex (every complex around here has a pond). We saw a giant turtle! It was awesome.


Me pointing at the turtle. You can't see the turtle though.





We had a great time. We're glad the weather was nice for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment