Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Where Can I Serve?

Well friends, a couple of weeks ago I got released as 2nd Counselor in the Primary Presidency.


It really hurt me.  I felt like I got fired.  There wasn't an explanation. There wasn't another calling extended to me.  I felt lost. I felt like a failure.

I wondered why they released me.   Were they just replacing me and keeping the other sisters?  Were they replacing the entire presidency?

I cried a little.  Then I started to fear what my next calling would be.


I prayed for peace and comfort.  I also prayed to know where I could best serve the Lord.


Well, the following week was rather interesting.  If you pray for an opportunity to serve then one (or more) shows up!

I got a text from a new neighbor of mine on Monday afternoon.  Before I get to the text, I must explain a little back story... *Cue fog!*

I was out walking my dogs with Lily one morning, and this lady came running up to me. She explained that they had just moved here from New York, and that she had to go back there for a month to finish things up for the move, while her husband and children stayed here. She was looking for someone to watch her kids during the day, on a flexible schedule, for the next month.

I sympathized with her, told her that sounded stressful, and then told her I didn't know of anyone.


I got home and I kept thinking about her.  I thought about how much stress she must be under, and how difficult it would be to come to a new place, not know anyone, and not know who will be taking care of your children for the next month.  I justified myself not watching her children because I struggle enough getting up to watch Lily at 10am, after working until 3am.  But then I felt like I should go back over to her house and introduce myself, and get a little more info and ask people around my ward if they could help.

So I did.

And this may seem like it's not a big deal, but I promise you that this is not in my nature. I do not introduce myself to people, I do not put myself out there.

My neighbor's name is Ashley. I told Ashley if she couldn't find anyone before she left, I could help her for a few days until they found someone.

So back to the text I received:

"Hi Jenn this is Jeff, Ashley's husband. She's going back to New York and I'm  having a problem finding a babysitter so she told me to get a hold of you. I work tomorrow 11:30 so I have to leave here by 10:30 and I'm supposed to work until 8pm which means I usually don't get home till about 9. I was wondering if you might be able to help with babysitting. Is there any way that you could watch the kids tomorrow, and if so how much would you charge me? Hopefully after tomorrow I will have a daycare set up for them. Please feel free to text me back and let me know as soon as you can, thank you."

I decided to help him out, even though I reallllllly didn't want to.

I needed to go to the store because we didn't have any food in the house.  So, off to the store I went.  In the parking lot I was approached by a woman who said, "I need to get some groceries, but I'm wondering if you would buy them for me."


This was a very interesting thing to happen to me, because, no joke, the DAY before, there was a woman and her children outside of our church, with signs, approaching people as they exited the building, and asking them for money.  Things like that make me very uncomfortable. I just said, "I have no cash."  As we drove home, I thought about how I could have helped them.  Should I have walked them inside the building and shown them the drinking fountain?  Had them meet with the Bishop?  I probably should have done something!  Whether or not they received anything from the Bishop just depends on them, really.  But to ignore their need and to walk away, ugh! I felt horribly.

I've often daydreamed about walking down the street, finding a homeless person with a sign and saying to them, "Come to the store with me, I'll get you some food."  Or have them come to a restaurant with me.  I'm more comfortable with that than I am with giving them money.  I also think that maybe I should have a box of granola bars in my car, to hand out to people who are asking for money.  If they truly are in need, they will appreciate it.


Anyway, before I could even register what the woman had asked or how much she was asking for, I said, "Ok, sure!"  I grabbed a shopping cart and said, "What do you need?"  I was prepared to buy her anything she wanted.


Guys, her response made me teary eyed.

She said, "Bread, bologna, and a drink."


I think that's pretty humble.  She could have handed me an entire list.  She could have asked for candy and junk food. But no, she asked for very cheap things.

So I went in, did all my shopping and included her three, humble items.  I brought them out to her, and her eyes lit up and she thanked me, said, "God bless you!" and then we parted ways.


As I walked away, a scripture came to my mind:

Matthew 25:40: And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.


Back to back opportunities for service.

What.the.heck.

Do not pray for something unless you are serious!!



I watched my neighbor's kids the following day and it was exhausting, but I felt good about helping them out.

Lily with Addie

I have received a new calling my ward and I am no longer seeking extra opportunities to serve others at this time. (Hahaha.)

If you're wondering, my new calling is the Primary Chorister.

1 comment:

  1. This post made me cry. Legit, fat tears. You are such an incredible example to me.

    ReplyDelete