Thursday, December 8, 2011

My Trip

Here's a rundown of everything I did with my family.

When I got off the plane, I started looking for the bag claim.  The Raleigh airport is tiny.  I swear I walked off the plane, turned the corner, and I was by the bag claim.  Also, I heard "Jenn!" behind me, from a familiar voice.  It was Elise!  I walked back towards them and smiled and tried not to get emotional.

I have this fear of being accused of being an emotional pregnant woman.  I probably shouldn't care.  Also, I'm not overly emotional.  I think any reasonable person would cry when they saw their family after missing them so much.

Then we waited for my bag....

After we left the airport, we went to pick up my dad from work and we went to this great restaurant called Red Hot and Blue.  It was delicious.  Jessica and I shared an order of the 10 wings appetizer.  We felt that was plenty of food.  Jessica about died from her excitement about their mustard sauce.

Friday the girls got up extremely early in the morning to go to school.  It was really only 6am, and I wasn't tired at that time anyway, so I got up as well.  Emilee stayed home from school.  My mom, Emilee and I went shopping for stuff for the candies we were going to make, and the items needed so I could make them a pomegranate roast. I felt like we shopped all day.  We went to Kroger, and then to Wallgreens.  Then we went to lunch with Dad at Steak 'N Shake.  Boy oh boy was it delicious.  I don't know if it was really all that good, or if I was just starving, but it was good, and the prices were great!

Oh and Dad told the story of how he gave himself a frostbite using ice, salt, and stupidity.  He is neat, and I almost peed my pants.

After lunch we went to the most amazing dollar store I've ever been in.  They had everything!  Several things, I wanted to purchase, but didn't have room in my bag to bring them home on the plane.

Finally we went back home, and then we started making candy.  Making candy is exhausting.

We made these retarded cookies.  They were a great idea, we just failed.  Basically it's a sugar cookie.  You cut the center out of the sugar cookie and put some sort of clearish candy in there.  We used Jolly Ranchers.  The Jolly Ranchers melt and it makes a stained glass effect in the cookie.

I have photo evidence of our failure.  However, they sure did taste good!

We also made peanut butter balls, almond joys, caramel, toffee, truffles... I think that's it.  Elise is the best candy maker.

Friday night I went to a creche.  There were tons of nativity scenes displayed, as well as a live nativity scene.  There were also lots of musical performances.  Emilee's school choir was singing.  They were wonderful!

Saturday morning, Emilee had another choir concert.  Which we missed, and I was very upset about it.  Poor Emilee.  She pretends that it's OK, but really it's not.  She should probably let people know when it hurts, and stop letting people walk all over her.

Saturday afternoon, we dipped the candies we made into chocolate, and I got really grumpy.  So I took a nap.  Then we went to the creche again, because my mom was performing with one group, and then both my parents were performing in another group.

Sunday I went to church.  This was a great experience, which I will have to write details about another time.

I made my family dinner on Sunday, and I believe they all liked it.  There were no leftovers.  Then we watched TV, and I fell asleep on the couch.

Monday all three girls stayed home from school.  We went to breakfast at Bojangles and we got some Boberry bisuits.  They were delicious!

We went home and finished up the last of our chocolate dipping, and went to lunch with dad at Cookout

Did you know that a barbecue means that you are having pulled pork with barbeque sauce, and a cookout means you are having hot dogs and hamburgers?  If you invite people to a "barbecue" at your house and you fail to have pulled pork, they will kill you. 

Anyway, Cookout is just a drive through.  So we got our food and took it to a pond thingy, where we ate it and told duck jokes, or goose jokes or other random jokes.  It was a good time.  And Emilee embarrassed herself.  She was telling a joke about how different people stand when they take photos.

An American tourist stands like this.  *pose*
A photography student stands like this. *pose*
An Asian stands like this. *pose*

And an Asian was getting into his car right behind her.  She was so embarrassed.  It was great.

Then I had to say goodbye to my dad.  This was hard because I don't know when I'll see him again.  I think it will be over a year, and this makes me sad.

Then my mom and sisters dropped me off at the airport.  Again, I tried to not cry.  I love my sisters.  I miss them.

No issues through security this time. :-)

2 comments:

  1. I knew that about barbecue!!! My father and sister live in Lexington. :) I had authentic North Carolina barbecue in 2008.

    ReplyDelete