Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tummy Aches

Lily gets tummy aches all the time.  Does anyone know any good ways to prevent this?

I try burping her ever 5 minutes while I'm nursing, but that doesn't seem to help.  I'm pretty sure it's not what I'm eating because she has a tummy ache every day no matter what I ate that day.  Cafe Rio? Tummy ache. Salad and homemade lasagna?  Tummy ache. Chocolate and pizza? Tummy ache. Angel hair pasta with lemon cream sauce with capers and mushrooms? Tummy ache.

I have a tummy soother medicine, which seems to work, but I don't want to have to resort to it every day.

Last night Lily went to sleep at 10pm, like normal.  Woke up at 11, screaming. I burped her and rocked her back to sleep.  She woke up at 12, screaming. I burped her and rocked her back to sleep. She woke up at 1, screaming.  Then I burped her, gave her the tummy soother and her binky and she slept until 6:30am.  Poor thing.

This is totally what she does:

What are the signs of colic?

In addition to crying a lot, a colicky baby may have what appears to be abdominal pain. He sometimes screams, extends or pull up his legs, and passes gas. If your baby has colic, you may notice his tummy looks enlarged.

What the heck?  I thought exclusive nursing was supposed to make babies not have colic?  What's the point in continuing then?  If she's going to have a tummy ache either way, I might as well not kill myself nursing for hours each day.

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard that exclusive nursing prevents colic. No one is really sure what causes it, I thought. (for the record, nursing DOES get way easier!)
    Are you sure it's colic? Does she have any other symptoms?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to stop eating dairy because it was hurting my little guys stomach and he was SUPER fussy! I hated taking it out because I LOVE dairy but it has seem to work. and dairy is in EVERYTHING I have had to commit to a whole new way of eating. But taking the dairy out of your diet isn't a thing you can try for a couple of days, it can take up to 2 weeks to improve.

    ReplyDelete