Sunday, November 2, 2014

Trunk or Treat

I love to plan and prepare Halloween costumes.  I hate to wear Halloween costumes.


For Lily, I had planned for her to be Mrs. Nezbit. I wanted to get her a Buzz Lightyear costume, a little pink apron, a blue hat, and then a teacup trick or treat bag/container/thing.


I was very pleased with myself!


Unfortunately, I was drowning with work, and only came up for air long enough to get her the Buzz Lightyear costume.  We decided to put a blue flower in her hair, and have her wear a purple tutu that she got a from a birthday party she went to recently.

It worked.  Not nearly as creative and adorable as the original costume plan, but oh well.


My costume... I have no idea how it came together.  I wanted to be Effie Trinket.  I guess I planned most of it before work exploded.

I bought my dress from Goodwill back at the beginning of September.  Super cheap. Super awesome.

Around the same time, I ordered some false lashes online.  They were $2, with $2 shipping. Score!


Then the weekend before the Trunk or Treat we picked up a blonde curly wig from a Halloween store. From the dollar store we picked up some gold flowers and purple flower earrings.

And just like that, you have Effie Trinket.


I did a test run a few days before the Trunk or Treat:


I did not apply the eyelashes, because I was worried I would ruin them.  After putting on the crazy makeup, I decided I wanted the pink on my eyelids to be brighter.


Thank goodness I skipped practicing with the lashes!  I had to cut them to get them to fit my small eyes, and I ended up cutting off the wrong side of one of them... bah!





So the final product:



I wanted Lance to be Caesar Flickerman, but we had a really hard time finding a blue wig, or a shiny suit.  So we decided he would just be someone from The Capitol.


He picked out a crazy wig that was orange and black.  I told him I could make his eyebrows and (crazy) mustache orange, if he wanted.  He decided he wanted them to be black instead, so we got some black face paint.

He wore my collared orange shirt, to match his hair, a black suit jacket, and some fitted jeans, along with his church shoes.

I think it turned out pretty good!




My favorite part about my costume was the makeup. Putting it on, and even better, washing it off!

Effie has really white skin.  I used concealer and a white eye shadow pencil, blended all over my face.  I put more of the white eye shadow pencil all over my lid, to make the hot pink stand out brighter. I also used extra of the white pencil to cover up my eyebrows as much as I could.  Who knew a person without eyebrows would have to cover them for this look?  ;)  I used the Urban Decay Electric palette for the hot pink eyeshadow, which I also used as blush.  For my lips I used a hot pink lip liner, covered with hot pink lipstick, and then a bright purple eyeshadow from the Electric palette in the center.

Easy peasy!


Washing it off felt amazing.  I do not think you are supposed to use cream eyeshadow and concealer all over your face.  Hello, clogged pores.

Also, I am allergic to pink eyeshadow. And it stained my eyelids, made them swollen, and cracked and peeling.


Totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment