Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Random Acts of Kindness

I love how when you're paying attention, you can find the spirit on a daily basis in unusual situations.

Yesterday I did NOT want to get out of bed. My alarm went off at 7:15, but I turned it off.  I stayed in bed until 8:15.  I'm supposed to leave by 8:10... so this is a recipe for disaster already.  I went in the bathroom, powdered my nose and put on some mascara.  Generally, I wear a lot more makeup than this, but I just wasn't feeling it today.  I was in the car and on my way to work at 8:20.

Traffic was as usual.  I'm still not driving over the speed limit, so I wasn't stressing myself out to get to work on time.

Got to work 3 minutes before 9:00.  Crazy, huh?  But I have already shared my feelings on the blessings I get for obeying the speed limit.

I walked into work and sat at my desk and noticed that something was missing.  I had left Lance's most valuable Christmas presents on the floor under my desk, and they were not there.  Trying to remain calm, I looked around the office.  I thought to myself, maybe the cleaner put them on a desk somewhere so he could vaccum.

Nowhere to be found.

I went into my co-worker's office and asked him if he'd seen anything.  He immediately got out of his desk and tried to help me find them, with no luck.  Well, we're at work and there was work to do, so we both went back to our desks, and I figured I would tell my boss when he got in.  But I started panicking.  Could they be stolen?  I started to cry, and I went into the bathroom to pray.  I got on my knees for the first time in a long time.  I felt so unworthy to pray asking for help when I hadn't prayed in months.  All I could say was, "I deserve this.  I don't deserve to ask for your help."  I got up and came out of the bathroom, accepting the fact that I had lost hundreds of dollars worth of presents.

Now the hard part.  Telling Lance.  He was not happy.  I had to talk to him in the bathroom so no one would hear me crying.  I don't like to cry in front of people.

I came out and Dave had gotten on his coat and hat and said he was going to go look in the dumpster out back.  I offered to go with him, but I had a pile of work on my desk, and he said it would be best for me to get my work done.

He came in about a half hour later saying he found a small straight cutter.  (I had mentioned that my scrapbooking stuff was next to the presents, and it was gone too.)  This was exciting!  So I went outside with him, and he pulled out all the boxes of presents that I bought for Lance.  They were all still in perfect condition, in their boxes, with their receipts.  I thanked him about 20 times.  And I brought him some candy today as well.

Thank you Dave.  Not only did you save Christmas for us, but you also helped return my faith in prayer.

2 comments:

  1. Aww, Jenn! That made me cry!
    That is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how cool is Dave! I'm so glad you guys found the gifts! I was sitting here wondering why Richard didn't come home and tell me this story until I remembered we were out of town that day. I know exactly what you mean about forgetting to pray and then feeling undeserving of asking for help. I think God's just glad we're humbling ourselves again. :)

    ReplyDelete