Wednesday, August 12, 2009

New Goal!

Humility.

I talk about myself too much, and brag about myself too much. Probably because I'm surrounded by braggers and people who talk like they're better than everyone else. But yeah, humility is the goal. I can't change people around me, so I am changing myself.

I was talking to Lolly about people who are truly humble and people who are faking humility, and I used the example of an old co-worker, who was talking about how her family pays for her schooling and her apartment and pretty much everything, so she just had to work for any extras she wanted, like shopping and stuff. So I said, "Wow! Your family must have a lot of money." And she responded, "We're just so blessed." She went on about how blessed she is, but in a way that didn't really feel humble to me. It was more of "Yes, my family is loaded and I get anything and everything I want."

So, after talking about this with Lolly, we watched Bride Wars. There's a part in the movie where this lady says "I know, hot huh? I am so blessed to have this body!" It was funny, because I had just ad a conversation with Lolly about people like that, but it also made me feel valid in my opinion that people who have the need to share how "blessed" they are, are really not humble. Now, I'd hate to read blogs full of "Whoa is me". I want to feel happy for you, I want to feel happy for your accomplishments and "blessings". I guess it's just all in the "tone" you use. I can tell if you're being humble, or if you're rubbing stuff in. I guess I'm gifted that way.

I am so blessed to be able to tell the humbile from the haughty. *wink wink*

Anyway, humility, my new goal.

In other news... I'm still really depressed about Jared. I get teary-eyed looking at pictures of him. I've started a few letters to him, but I have no idea what to say besides "I miss you.". I need him.... I really do. I'm glad I can still hang out with Lolly. See, Lolly and I were so caught up in our high school romances, that we didn't take the time to make other real friendships, and we are both suffering for it now. I'm glad we have each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment