Thursday, January 5, 2012

Lamaze

My first Lamaze class was good.  I really like the instructor.  I was worried she would push natural birth, but she said that's not her goal.  Her goal is to give us all the information we need about labor so we can make our own decisions.  Thank goodness!

I think whether or not you get an epidural you will be in some sort of pain, at least before, so the breathing and relaxation techniques will help no matter what.  I think it's also a good bonding time for Lance and me.  It also made me think about things I can take with me to the hospital.  I hadn't thought of that before either.  I just thought you show up, with maybe a bag of clothes/hygeine stuff.  But now I'm thinking I can bring snacks for Lance, music, I can hang up a picture to focus on, a birthing ball, etc.

One thing we did that I really enjoyed was that we wrote down our list of positives and negatives about pregnancy and birth.  My negatives were all fears about IVs, needles, blood and pain.  Lance's fears were all about after the baby is born: being a good dad, finding people to watch her occasionally, etc.  It was really interesting.  We really hadn't talked about what we were afraid of before.  Different perspectives, I suppose.

We also did some exercises on the floor.  She showed us different positions that might be more comfortable, and showed our helpers how to make our back feel better.

Overall a very enlightening experience and I can't wait until my class next week.

1 comment:

  1. That cupcake maker looks awesome! Okay, so you say you're not a cupcake fan...and honestly I'm not a huge fan of cake either. But if you ever DO make cupcakes, I have the most amazing frosting recipe...if you like starburst, that is.

    The following recipe makes a HUGE batch of one flavor, so if you do try this, I suggest halfing it for each flavor (if you want to try all flavors.)

    4 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
    1/2 lb butter
    2 1/2 C. Powdered sugar (or more, depending on consistency)
    15 starbursts (one flavor)
    A dash of salt

    You melt the starburst in the whipping cream (microwave is easiest, stirring every 30 seconds), let cool. Mix butter, PS and salt. Add melted starburst/cream and stir.

    It's so yummy (if you like starburst). And most fun with cupcakes, cuz you can use all flavors...with a cake you'd have to just pick one. It's usually a major hit at parties...most people love starburst, and they're fun and colorful. You can add food coloring to make the colors more vibrant. :)

    So, I know you didn't ask for a recipe...but I saw your cool cupcake maker and couldn't resist!

    ReplyDelete