Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Tough Call

My appointment went well today.  Blood pressure is fine.  Feet have grown two sizes.  They are really bad today, but I'm not surprised... because of how much I've been on my feet lately.

My doctor said that since I had blood pressure problems in the past, normally they would induce me one week before my due date.  She then asked how I felt about it.

Lance, being anxious to meet our baby girl said, "The sooner the better, right?"

I hesitated.  Then I said, "I... don't want to be induced if I don't have to be."

My doctor then said that because I've been looking so good lately, that I might not need to be induced, but that it would depend on if my blood pressure stays looking good or if it starts looking bad.  She says lots of people start having blood pressure problems near the end, so I, since I've already had blood pressure issues, will just have to watch it carefully and see what wins.  Labor first? Or dangerous blood pressure first?

On one hand, I'd really like to have Lily early.  I mean, who wouldn't?  40 weeks is a long time to be pregnant.  Obviously I'm uncomfortable, physically, but is that really enough reason to have them induce me?

I'd like to go into labor on my own.  I want that experience.  I don't want that taken away from me.  I want to spend hours in labor at home with Lance, using techniques we learned in class.  I want to be 6 or 7 cm dilated before I even arrive at the hospital.  I want the hard part to happen at home, where I'm comfortable.  I don't want to be hooked up to IVs and other things that are giving me medicine that does what my body is supposed to do naturally.

Also, once you start the medical interventions, you don't stop.  One thing leads to another, and the next thing you know you've taken something that is beautiful and natural, and turned it into something medical and not natural at all.

If my life or Lily's life is in danger and inducing me reduces that danger, then fine.  But if I can do it on my own, I will.

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel. My whole pregnancy, I was planning on getting through most of labor at home. I was excited to do it, and didn't even consider it not being an option. So when they told me I HAD to get induced, I was beyond upset. I felt the way you did, that getting induced would for sure lead to other interventions and in the end I'd get a C-section. It didn't happen that way. Getting induced did lead to an epidural, but everything turned out just fine. I'm still really sad I didn't get to labor at home, just me and Ryan and a familiar environment, no pushy nurses or IV's. But it really worked out just fine and I didn't feel like a failure to my body afterwards or anything.
    Go as long as you can. Try all the old wives tales for starting labor! And take it easy so you don't swell up. But when it comes down to it, the safety of your baby is a priority over anything else. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be a tough call, but it sounds like you've done your research better than I did when I had my first baby. We induced him a week early for several reasons, but not because he had to be. It ended up being awful and very close to a c-section. I determined I would NEVER induce again, but my next two had to be induced because my body just wouldn't go into labor on its own--and they were huge, so I was begging and pleading with them to induce Caleb before he got any bigger (his head was so big none of their newborn hats fit him). But this is your first baby and I think you can do this! Give it your best shot! Just keep in mind that second babies usually have shorter and easier deliveries, so if things don't go the way you want this time, they will probably go better when/if you have a second.

    ReplyDelete