Thursday, August 30, 2012

Fran Sanny

We went to San Francisco!  It was cool, but I'm a bit disappointed because I didn't get to do everything I wanted.

This is what I wanted to do and see:



http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/website/images/homepage/content-img.jpg Alcatraz


http://www.travel-pictures-gallery.com/pics/san_francisco/sanf0001.jpg  Steiner Street


http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a3/Fort_Point_National_Historic_Site_and_Golden_Gate_Bridge.jpg/450px-Fort_Point_National_Historic_Site_and_Golden_Gate_Bridge.jpg Golden Gate Bridge

What we did do:

We ate at a fabulous restaurant called L'Ardoise. I had the goat cheese on a baked apple crouton, Filet Mignon with shaved potatoes, and the "floating island" dessert.  It was wonderful!  The dessert was the most delicate angel food cake I've ever had, drenched in a delicious creme anglais, and it had strawberries and almonds on it.  Lily enjoyed it too. :-)  Lance had the hanger steak.  It was actually better than the filet. I must eat here again.

We went to a baseball game, Giants vs. Braves.  That was fun.  The park is located practically on the water, so as you're watching the game, the ocean is in the background.  It is beautiful, but freezing.

 

We went to Chinatown, which was kind of lame.  There is a fortune cookie factory there where you can see the ladies fold the fortune cookies, but this guy kind of took my money for the chocolate flavored cookies I was buying and then rushed me out of there.  Lame.

We went to Alcatraz, which was awesome.  I thought it was just a prison, but I guess it was other things too.  Lance and I were only interested in the prison part though, so we went to do the audio tour.  It was awesome, except for the part where Lily cried the whole time, and my audio set freaked out and started playing from the beginning again before I was finished.   I gave up and just walked around after that.  But, it was so totally awesome.

I learned that Alcatraz was a prison punishment.  No one was ever sentenced to Alcatraz, you were transferred there from other prisons if you tried to escape from your previous prison, attempted to harm a guard, or something else that I can't remember.  But basically your original crime had nothing to do with your being sent to Alcatraz.

Hearing about, and seeing evidence of escape attempts was very fascinating.  It's too much to write about here, but, man, some people are brilliant.  It's too bad their brilliance is wasted on law breaking instead of something more productive and beneficial for all of us.

We went to Ghirardelli Square.  It was pretty cool, but... I hated my caramel shake thing. Plus it was freezing and the wind was blowing like crazy, and of course Lily was upset.

Basically Lily was upset the entire trip.  It made things difficult, but I still had a good time.  I'll have to go back again to finish up my to do list. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment