Thursday, August 30, 2012

Road Trip

I used to like road trips.  I have fond memories of piling into my family's red Ford Aerostar van (later a purple Chevrolet Suburban) and driving for long periods of time, stopping only when one was going to pee their pants.  I think that's what made us siblings so close.

I could tell you lots of road trip stories, from songs sang, to games played, to throw up chain reactions.  Good times.

Our trip to San Francisco was with Eric and Katie and Mabel.  We borrowed Lance's sister's Dodge Durango, put some luggage in a zip up thingy on top and hit the road early Wednesday morning.  I had not gone to bed.  I got off work at 3am, and spent from 3am to 4:30am making sure we had everything we needed. At 4:30, Lance and I went to Eric and Katie's house.  We got everyone's luggage situated and pulled out of town at 6:00am.  We were hoping that leaving at such an early hour would make it so the kids would sleep.

Not so.  And me being extremely sleep deprived didn't make the situation any better.  I hope I was nice.  I did get little naps, 10 minutes or so, here and there.

About 30 minutes outside of Reno my suitcase freed itself from the luggage carrier on top of the Durango, fell off our car, and fell onto the road.  The car behind us dodged it, and I watched my bright pink suitcase slide into the median by the fast lane.  Awesome.

This wasn't the first time my luggage has fallen off the car on a road trip.  I'm so lucky!

Eric and Lance went to go get it.  Thankfully they recovered it, it hadn't broken open, and all of my clothing was still safely tucked away inside.

By the time we got to Reno at 3pm, I felt extremely light headed, dizzy, grumpy and everything else you feel when you don't sleep, so Lance let me take a nap.  I slept for two hours, then got up and got ready to go get some food.  I had french toast for dinner. Yum!

We stayed at the Circus Circus.  It was pretty nice.  Nicer than Vegas's!  We all went to bed early, about 8:00.  We had separate rooms at this hotel, so that we could all get as much sleep as possible.  We put Lily on her own queen bed.

She fell off at about 3:00am.  We're such horrible parents.  We knew it was going to happen.  Poor thing.  I think it mostly scared her, because when I tried nursing her to calm her down she immediately ate and went back to sleep.

The next day in the car was horrible.  Lily was fussy the entire day.  When we were finally riding into San Francisco she was screaming her head off.  It was great.

I hope Eric and Katie don't hate us.

The drive home was better, because I didn't put Lily in her car seat.  Lily hates her car seat.  She was much happier being free.  Thankfully we didn't get in a wreck.

No comments:

Post a Comment