Saturday, July 20, 2013

Da Hood

I want to start by saying that I am not racist. I strongly believe in looking at people's desires and attitudes rather than their skin color. I feel like some people think that not being racist means bending to any whine by someone not of your race. For example, they think that if you don't hire someone who happens to be the race of a minority, you are racist.

False. You're the racist, for thinking that I won't hire you because of your race. I didn't hire you because you're not right for the job.  Quit bringing race into everything!

Anyway... today Lance, Lily and I had an adventure! We decided to explore the city a little bit, and went downtown. It's hard to know what direction downtown is because you can't really see any buildings with all the tall trees that are around, but we did it!

We stopped at a gas station and filled up, then went over to Bojangles that was across the street.

We were the only white people in there.

Not even exaggerating. It was really, really weird.

The food was good though!


The plain biscuits, and boberry biscuits are delicious. They also have some kind of hash brown thing that I had when I came out a year and a half ago, but I'm not sure what it's called. Their fried chicken is also delicious. Very crispy!

After Bojangles we decided to drive over to the kids' museum that we saw earlier. We were stopped at a red light and a large group of people were walking by with picket signs.

"WHAT DO WE WANT?"

"JUSTICE"

"FOR WHO?"

"TREYVON"

"WHEN DO WE WANT IT?"

"RIGHT NOW!"

I have to be honest... For a second I thought I might get shot just so they could send a message. If you're unfamiliar with the Treyvon Martin/George Zimmerman case, I don't want to go too much into it, but basically Zimmerman, a half Hispanic neighborhood watch guy, followed a Treyvon Martin, who was black. They got into a fight that ended in Treyvon Martin's death.

Anyhow, that was exciting.

Then we went to the kids' museum, and Lily had a blast!  She just wanted to run and run and run. I was glad they had a couple of rooms for really young kids that were closed off so I could let her run and not worry about her getting lost, or going out of my sight.


It was a fun day.

No comments:

Post a Comment