Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Sidney, NE to Kansas City, MO & Kansas City, MO to Lexington, KY & Lexington, KY to Raleigh, NC

I've been really tired, and trying to adjust to my new time zone, surroundings, and schedule.  It's going really well so far.

The drive from Nebraska to Missouri was uneventful, which is a good thing. Lily had some difficult moments, but that was to be expected. The dogs didn't have a single accident. I got along with my mom just fine.  When we got to our hotel in Missouri, our room smelled like cigarette smoke. Yuck. We tried to switch rooms at the front desk, but they had no other rooms with two beds. We had paid extra money so we could have 2 queen sized beds, and didn't want to get sore throats from the smoke, so the guy at the front desk gave us a second room for free. Having separate rooms was nice, I think we all got more rest that way.

The drive from Missouri to Kentucky was a pretty one. This day I got to see the St. Louis arch, which was cool. St. Louis is a beautiful city!  I was driving at the time, and the roads were busy and under construction, so I didn't get to see much, but I enjoyed what I did see.

I completely missed the Mississippi River. I swear we never crossed it.  I crossed it before as a child on a vacation to Branson, Missouri to see my grandpa get baptized. That time, I swear it lasted for 5 miles. This time, it must have been a thinner area or something. We crossed several rivers, but I never saw a sign saying it was the Mississippi.

We got to drive through Missouri,  Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky this day. Pretty cool!  When we got to our hotel in Lexington we basically all passed out.  We watched the jury's decision on the Trayvon Martin case, and went to bed.

It's strange how exhausting traveling can be, considering that we're seated practically the entire time.

From Kentucky to North Carolina was a beautiful drive. We drove through Kentucky, Virginia and North Carolina. At one point we were not on a freeway and I felt like I was in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by drivers who didn't have common sense (or teeth, probably). The roads were curvy, the speed limit was S-L-O-W. The scenery on the other hand was gorgeous. I've never seen such vivid green surrounding me in the middle of summer.

We met my dad and sister, Jessica, in a small town that is about 2 hours outside of Raleigh. It was called Mount Airy. Mount Airy is the town where the Andy Griffith show was filmed. We were too exhausted to care at the time, but perhaps we will go back when we're ready to spend time exploring. Instead, we ate at Golden Corral and then got back on the road. My mom had switched cars and was riding with my dad, while Jessica rode with us. Our A/C stopped working.  Thank goodness it was the last day! We think it froze over from being used so much over the past 4 days, because it has been fine ever since, so it probably just needed a rest.

By the way, we got a new car!  We traded in our Ford Edge and Dodge Avenger for a Kia Sorento. I absolutely love it! It gets better gas mileage and has more space than our Ford Edge. It was a comfortable ride, for sure.

Yesterday, I realized that I left my makeup at our hotel in Lexington.  I almost cried. I love makeup. I have lots of makeup. I probably care too much about makeup. I had thousands of dollars of makeup in that bag.... I called the hotel and the housekeeping manager was off that day so I had to call back today.  They have it!  I gave them my address so they could ship it to me, and I also paid for the shipping expenses.  Even if the shipping is $100, that's cheaper than replacing all of my stuff.

My makeup bag is huge.  And no, normally I don't bring all of it with me to a hotel.  However, I'm moving. So I brought it all with me, instead of giving it to the company that is moving the rest of our stuff.  Good move too, because our belongings won't be here for another week or two.

My ipsy bag came yesterday! I'm not sure if I will write an official blog post about it, but I got some good stuff.

Lily is having a great time playing with Grandma, Grandpa, Carita (the dog), Emilee, and Jessica. She gets really tired and is back to taking two naps during the day.

I'm adjusting to my new schedule. Last night was the first time I worked from here and it went OK. It's kind of hard to stay up until 1 or 2 AM right now, but that's probably because I'm still jet lagged.  Before the move, I stayed up until 2 or 3 AM on a consistent basis, and that would be 4 or 5 AM in Eastern time zone.  My new work schedule is 7pm to 1am (possibly 2 or 3), which really isn't different from what I worked before, I'm just in a new time zone.  So far, I really like it. I get to have dinner with the family, and then work afterwards.

It's humid here.  I would describe it as feeling like it's about to rain, or it just barely finished raining, but it didn't or won't rain.  It's just really moist air. It doesn't bother me so far, but I haven't really gone outside and stood in it.

I threw up yesterday. Lance and I snuck away to go to lunch by ourselves, and I ate a few bites of my burger before I felt horrible. I thought I could keep it under control, but a few blocks down the road I lost it.  I haven't thrown up in over 2 years. I hardly ever throw up!  It was really strange. But I feel fine now, so I'm not sure what caused it.  I'm glad it was yesterday, and not on a day while we were traveling. Blegh.

1 comment: