Tuesday, June 4, 2013

FAQs


Recognize that skyline?  I don't.  Apparently, that's the skyline of where we're moving.  When I visited in the past, I never noticed a skyline.  There are so many trees!  I love this city.  I love this place.  I love that we're moving!

We're moving!  Ahhh!

Lance put in his notice at work, so I can finally scream it to everyone that we are leaving Utah!

So... some FAQs from the few people (mostly family) who we've already told:

Where?
Raleigh, North Carolina.

Why?/To be closer to your parents?
Sort of.  When Lance's mom was really sick, Lance said to me, "When she passes away, I don't want to be in Utah anymore."
 
What really pushed us happened while we were out there visiting my family back in December/early January. Our house sold the first day we were there. We both felt like we should just stay there.  "Let's move here!  This place feels right. We love it here. My parents are here. We've always wanted to leave Utah. Why not?!"

The first idea we had was to have me not come back from that vacation, and have Lance take care of everything, rent a big truck, and move us here by himself.  That didn't feel right, so we decided to come home, find the shortest lease we could, get everything in order (sell and donate most of our belongings), and then come out here after our lease was up.

So, my friends, that is why we came to San Moritz. It had the shortest lease we could find which was six months. It's up July 14th. We've already given our 60 days notice.  That is also why we found an apartment half the size of our house, so we could get rid of a ton of stuff beforehand.  We're still getting rid of a lot more (another couch, kitchen table, dressers, bed, etc.).

Did Lance find a job?
No. He's applied here and there, but he's not really in a field where they hire out of state people. He's in warehousing, and they don't really care that much about finding the perfect person for their job.  So, we're hoping he'll have more luck when we're out there.

Will you (Jenn) still be able to work for your company?
Yes!  My employers have been extremely generous.  They have already allowed me to work from home following the birth of Lily, and they have also agreed to allow me to continue working from home from another state.

Will you be living with your parents?
Yes, until we can afford to live somewhere else. Which means, until Lance finds a job.

Are you getting a U-Haul?
No. We thought about it.  We've tossed around tons of ideas.  For now, the plan is to sell our Dodge and keep our Ford.  We'll each have a suitcase, and we'll also bring my computer/work stuff, stuff for the dogs, and Lily's pack and play. We'll hire a moving company for the rest of our stuff, which will basically be appliances, decorations, clothing, Lily's crib and her changing table/dresser thing, and our futon.

When are you leaving?
July 11th. It's a Thursday. We can't afford for me to take time off of work, so I'll have to take off that Thursday and Saturday the 13th, then be back to work on Monday the 15th.  So, drive Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, about 9 hours each day. Luckily I can spend most of Monday re-cooping, since I don't work until 5pm.  The drive is 32 hours.  We'll be stopping a lot since Lily hates the car and we have dogs that need to be let out.  We'll probably end up with 12 hours of traveling each day.  I'm excited and nervous.

So, it's pretty much this unknown exciting adventure!  I've started setting aside more stuff to donate.  I've whittled away about 20 pairs of shoes so far, and I think I still have more to go.  Basically, if I haven't worn it since we've lived here, it goes. I just went through my makeup and gave a ton to Elise.  It's not that I didn't want that makeup, it's just that I have so much (more than I realized) and I really need to whittle every possible thing down that I can.

Just for fun, here's a picture of what I gave Elise:


Two make up bags, two lipsticks, two blushes, a pencil sharpener, foundation, powder, bronzer, 8 eyeshadows, eye primer and I added two eyeliners after taking the picture.

I took the picture to show her what I wanted to get rid of to see if she wanted it.

Elise is also taking our kitchen table and chairs, our bed, my Grandma Billington's china that my mother inherited, and a dresser that I inherited from my Grandma Keele.

My work desk is going in the dumpster.  It's been put together and taken apart so many times that it is trash.

This is all so exciting until we get a new place, have nothing, and have no money to get anything.

2 comments:

  1. I don't even recognize that skyline...Seriously, it's just trees. I am really really REALLY excited to have you guys out here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be great!! I love the east coast!

    ReplyDelete