Friday, January 9, 2009

Work Lay-Offs

I want to start by saying no I did not lose my job, luckily.

These past few months at work have been really hard. I've gone from feeling underappreciated and over-worked, to being grateful I at least have a job, to feeling appreciated (and maybe even promoted!).

After the cycle (our busy time of year the months before the election) the bosses talked to all of the employees and told us that in January they have to lay off 5 people. Five... Rumors went around the company about this and that, but what Dana (my boss) told me specifically was that there wasn't enough work for the amount of employees, and that we all need to "prove ourselves" (yes he used those words) in order to keep our jobs. So, I worked my butt off (seriously, it's gone), and got about halfway done with my level 2 certification, which I'm pretty proud of. I learned a lot, and I think I impressed them.

Well, January came... and my carpool buddy and friend, Bethany, got laid off. It was so sad. I really liked her. Rachel Ward got laid off, and my sister in law, Rachel Evans, also got laid off. 2 other people left, but I think that was voluntary.

After Bethany was laid off, Dana called me into his office and wanted to make sure that I wasn't upset about it. I told him it was sad, but I understood, and that I bet it was really hard for him to have to do that to her. We talked for a bit, and then he told me how Donni (my other boss) isn't going to be coming into the office as much, and they want me to do more HR stuff, and he would "adjust my pay accordingly."

So these months have paid off. I still have a job. I know more things in my job, and I might be getting a promotion here in these next couple of months.

No comments:

Post a Comment