Friday, January 28, 2011

A Moment

I'm not sure if this blog post is supposed to be profound, but, as I have mentioned in previous posts, I am not a profound person.

Or maybe I am a profound person, but I feel the way to truly be profound is to use big words and go deep into your inner emotions and tell about epiphanies you've had.

I'm much too shy to share my deepest thoughts.

So, the moment that I want to talk about, is the instant I see the skyline of Las Vegas, Nevada, after driving all day.

Yeup, Las Vegas.  A city of filth, sin, crime, gambling, prostitution, kidnapping, theft, murder and many other unthinkable crimes.

Las Vegas is my favorite place to go for a weekend getaway.  This may be due to my aunts Leslie, Annette and Melody having all lived there for a time, and my family would often go there to visit them.  Family vacations are the best!  Those are some of my best memories.

But, Las Vegas.  We are driving nonstop (When it's just Lance and me, we don't stop, at all, unless we really need something.) for 5.5 sometimes 6 hours.  It's a long and boring drive.  The last 50 miles are the worst.  That long stretch between Mesquite, NV and Las Vegas, NV feels like it will never, ever, ever, end.  And then, we see it...peeking around the corner like little glittering stars on the ground.  I get excited butterflies in my stomach.  The glittering lights grow and grow and grow, until we see that the entire valley floor is covered in glittering lights.

That's one of my favorite moments.  I get butterflies just looking at pictures of the Las Vegas skyline.



I couldn't find any pictures that were as far away as I'd like, but this one is pretty good.

1 comment: