Thursday, November 10, 2011

Hymns

Yesterday was awful.  I had the worst headache ever and it wouldn't go away.  Tylenol didn't help, sleep didn't help, drinking lots of water didn't help, getting a bit of caffeine didn't help.

I have decided that it was a stress headache.

I stayed home from work and called my mommy.  We talked for a while, then I tried to take a nap.  I couldn't stop thinking about work and some issues I had the previous day, so I called my sister Emilee.  We talked for a while, then she passed the phone to Jessica and we talked for a while.  It was so nice to hear their voices.

Then I called Lance to see how he was doing.  He had a busy day at work.

Then once again I tried to take a nap.  I had to sing a few hymns to get myself to not think about work.  Then baby Lily decided it was flipping time, which was pretty relaxing.  I could just sit there and enjoy her company without saying a word.

Three hours later, I woke up.  Sill with a headache. But the nap was nice.

Anyway, I couldn't bear to look at a computer screen yesterday, so I didn't share something for which I am thankful.  (Do you like how sometimes I use proper puncuation and grammar, and sometimes I do not?  I prefer to blog how I would speak, and therefore, don't care about the proper use of things for the most part...) 

I'm thankful for hymns.  I'm thankful for those talented people who wrote the tunes for the hymns and the talented people who wrote the words for hymns, and the talented people who perform hymns.  Hymns are beautiful, and help to clear my mind better than anything else.

I remember being in Primary when we lived in Santaquin and we learned that one song that was about humming your favorite hymn.  I don't remember all the words, but I remember it talking about any time you feel down or scared or sad "...Just hum your favorite hymn.  Sing out with vigor and vim, and you will find it clears your mind. Hum your favorite hymn."  Ever since then, I've hummed my favorite hymn many, many times.  It always works.  Always.

Maybe later today I will think of something else to share that I am thankful for.

2 comments:

  1. amen. (:
    what is your favorite hymn, by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite hymn is Be Still My Soul.

    And Abide With Me 'Tis Eventide.

    And Nearer My God to Thee.


    And I really like Come Thou Font... but it's not really a hymn.

    ReplyDelete