Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Relief Society

Finding something each day to be thankful for is not difficult.

Blogging every day is difficult.  I don't spend much time on the computer at home, except to look up recipes.

Anyway, yesterday was a good day.  Work was pretty slow, so I got to study for this big test I need to take for my marketing course.  I'm not quite done with my reading assignment, but I started taking practice quizzes anyway.  I was getting solid 80%-90% scores, so I feel pretty good about taking the test this week.

After work, I dropped Lance off at his second job and then I went straight to relief society.

Relief society?  Yep!  This is the second time I have gone since I've been in the ward...  My ward does a great job about notifying me about activities and making me feel welcome, I'm just so dang shy!  I'm in Primary, so I don't know very many of the sisters, so I don't go to the activities.  This week I realized I'm not going to know any of the sisters unless I start going to activities.  So I'm going to try to do better about that. 

Last night I sat a table between two sisters who I recognized, but I don't really know.  One sister's daughter, Kyla, was in my Primary class last year.  (I just love that name, Kyla.  As a side note, I wanted Lily's name to be Kyla Lily, (like a play on the name of the calla lily flowers) but Lance didn't agree with it....)  My visiting teacher, Amy, was at the same table, just a couple sisters away, so I didn't feel totally like a fish out of water.  The food was good, and I talked a little bit to some ladies.  I made a little craft and then went home.

I feel really good about going to this activity.  There are always new sisters in the ward, so I'm sure there are plenty of sisters who don't know each other, and we're all sort of in the same boat.  We just have to take the initiative to get to know each other.  I'm thankful for the relief society.

After relief society I went home to get my girls.  I had thawed out my frozen cinnamon rolls in the fridge, so I put them on the counter to raise for a bit.  They didn't really raise.  Ok, they didn't raise at all.  So freezing this particular cinnamon roll dough was not a good idea.  However, after baking them and drenching them in a cream cheese-butter-milk-vanilla-powdered sugar mixture, they were excellent.

Later that night, after watching Dancing with the Stars, I loaded the girls into the car and went to Walmart.  The dogs stayed in the car.  I bought all of my Thanksgiving items.  Well, almost all.  I still need a stock pot that can hold over 2 gallons of liquid (my lovely sister in law will be letting me borrow hers), 4 oranges (I thought they'd go bad if I bought them this early), and a turkey bag.  Walmart was out of turkey bags, however they were stocking the shelves, so maybe if I go back tonight they will have some.

Thanks to two of my awesome cousins and their success stories, I have found the confidence to just brine a regular ol' turkey from Walmart!  I bought a 22lb Butterball.  It was heavy.  Not sure I should have lifted it...  I will be brining it, however,  I will be decreasing the amount of salt in the brine recipe I'll be using, just to be careful.  I'm borrowing the stock pot to cook the brine in, and the turkey bag is to soak the turkey in the brine.  I'm super excited!  I want to start cooking the turkey now.  Maybe I'll go buy an 8lb turkey and practice!  :-)

After Walmart it was almost 11pm, and I drove to the mall to pick up Lance.  He was tired.  I was tired.  Before now I've made sure I got 8 hours of sleep each night.  But getting home at 11:30pm, and having to get up at 7am means that is not possible.  Remarkably, I feel fine!  Practice for when I'm getting 2 hours of sleep each night, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment