Sunday, May 12, 2013

I Would, But

But. I hate "buts." Excuses. Fact is, if you want to do something, any reason you give for not doing so is an excuse.

I don't want to be on Facebook anymore. My excuse for keeping it is that I'm afraid I'll miss out on important things if I don't have one.

My birthday was a month ago. I received several Facebook messages of well wishes and such. It was thoughtful. But, from some people, I was disappointed to receive a Facebook message instead of a phone call. You remember those? Where you hear the other person's voice?

I think it's unfortunate that people who are important to me, wished me a happy birthday the same way as that one girl who I sat by in that one class my sophomore year of high school who I wouldn't even remember were it not for Facebook.

I promised myself, no matter how much I hate the phone, if it's your birthday and I love you, I will call you.

So here I am, wishing I had the guts to get off Facebook to force more meaningful contact with people, but afraid of not having any contact.

1 comment:

  1. This bugs me too! One birthday, I did not receive a single phone call! Only Facebook messages and texts. But the way we communicate has changed, and the few times I've deleted my Facebook, I've missed out on a lot of big stuff happening in people's lives.

    ReplyDelete