Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Scriptures

I finished reading the Doctrine and Covenants last week, so I continued into the Pearl of Great Price. Today I read Moses chapter 4 (and more) and one verse struck me:
22 - Unto the woman, I, the Lord God, said: I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception. In sorrow thou shalt bring forth children, and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
This was said to Eve after she ate the forbidden fruit. It made me wonder, is childbirth painful because of Eve? And how does that work if we believe men (and women) are punished for their own sins and not Adam's (or Eve's) transgression?
So, I did a little reasearch online and found the following article. It's interesting, but it doesn't really answer my questions.
Any insight from you would be greatly appreciated!
Eve Punished with Painful Childbirth

3 comments:

  1. I just studied this! My understanding is that because of the fall, we now experience pain and sorrow. It's not really a punishment, just life. Women just have to go through child birth. Also, this doesn't mean that our husbands actaully rule over us. We are supposed to work together and be equal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going along with what Kate said, I agree it's not supposed to be a punishment. Before the Fall, there was no knowledge of good or evil = no progression; no children. But I like the point your article brought up -- after the pain of pregnancy and childbirth, you mostly forget it because of the joy brought by the new human life. ....ha ha I'm obviously not an expert by any means, here. So, these are just my thoughts. Thanks for the post. I always love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the thoughts! That actually makes a lot more sense.

    ReplyDelete