Friday, March 21, 2014

Arbitrage and Primary

What has our family really been up to?  So much and so little at the same time.



Lance is currently the 2nd counselor in the Elder's Quorum.  He recently taught his very first lesson.  It was on The Good Samaritan.

One thing about Lance is that he's very humble with his gospel knowledge.  He feels like he never has anything beneficial to add to gospel discussions, so he rarely, if ever, shares his opinions or insights.  So, having to teach a class was extremely uncomfortable for him. He spent an entire week preparing the lesson.  I am so proud of him!  I know how tempting it can be to wait until Saturday night, but I also know how beneficial it is to start early in the week and allow the Spirit time to work on us so that we end up with the lesson that needs to be shared.

A few days after his lesson, Lance was given an opportunity to be a "Good Samaritan" himself.  Our neighbor knocked on our door, asking if we could give him a jump start, because his car's battery died.  We do not own any jumper cables, and neither did our neighbor.  So instead of saying, "Oh, sorry, we don't have any cables."  Lance drove our neighbor to the store, bought two pairs of jumper cables (one for us, and one for our neighbor), came back here, and gave them a jump start.  That's above and beyond, if you ask me!

Lance works for a company called Spears.  He works in the warehouse. He says it's easy. He works from 7am to 5pm Monday through Friday.  Occasionally they will go in at 6am.  He's always getting overtime.  The drive to his work is about 10 minutes if there's no traffic, but it can get up to 45 minutes during rush hour.

I find it comical that part of our reasons for leaving Utah was to start fresh, including a new type of job for Lance. He wanted out of a warehouse.  However, he then proceeded to apply for mainly warehouse positions.  You stick to what you know, I suppose.  We aren't sure how long he'll stay here. It doesn't feel like there's a lot of opportunity for advancement.  The guy who trained Lance has nothing but high praise for him, though.  He flat out told Lance that he gives him the "crappy" jobs because he knows Lance won't complain and won't ask stupid questions.

Lance and I are working on starting our own business.  If you're unaware, Lance has collected Disney Vinylmations over the past few years.  He has also re-sold them for more money than he purchased them for.  He's made quite a bit of money doing this, and it has paid for several of our vacations.  For example, certain Vinylmations cost about $16, but he sold them for $200.  Yes, people pay that kind of money for collectibles!  This helped us a lot when he was unemployed for six months.

Lance is no longer into Vinylmation collecting, but he is still interested in flipping them for a profit.  He's also buying many other items and selling them for a profit.  It's called retail arbitrage.  His goal is to make enough money doing that by the end of the year, that he can quit his job at Spears.  I know he can do it, mostly because he already is doing a great job.  His experience in organizing and maintaining a warehouse, along with shipping items all over the world has and will continue to help us here a lot.  He's currently trying to make a certain quota so that Amazon will allow him to sell during the fourth quarter of the year.  How often to you purchase items from Amazon from January to September?  ...And from October through December?

Exactly.



As for me, I'm the 2nd Counselor in the Primary Presidency. I teach sharing time every three weeks.  We are changing it so that one person teaches for an entire month, and gets two months off.  My first entire month to myself will be June.  I'm pretty excited to have April and May without teaching, and to have that time to focus on improving other things in our Primary, as well as having all that time to perfect my lesson plans for June.  I love working in this ward's primary, and I can't help but feel like I'm meant to be here.  I love the women I work with, and I love learning from them.  They are some truly amazing people.

Angie is a lot like me.  She's pretty quiet and reserved until she gets a little more comfortable around you. Meredith is the type of person who blurts out what she's thinking, and I absolutely love it!  She thinks it gets her in trouble, but it really makes me feel more comfortable around her.  I told her I love it because I know she's being honest and upfront with me about anything and everything.  She is fearless and I admire it.

I finally made Lily a doctor's appointment!  She hasn't been since her 15 month appointment.  I'm not really too worried, I just want to get her all caught up on her shots and make sure she's learning and developing like she should be.   I think Lily is smart and beautiful and I'm not worried one little bit.

Lily gets sick every freakin' week from the cesspool called Nursery.  I absolutely hate it.  Sunday she'll be just fine, but by Tuesday she'll be sick again, and she'll be sick until about Friday.  This week she had a fever for two days, and it got up to 104 degrees.  She threw up once.  She's had a runny nose.  She coughs a lot. Ugh.  My poor girl!

I still work at night.  I don't love it, but I love my job and I'll do what I have to in order to keep that job and stay at home with my beautiful daughter.

I haven't had my hair done professionally since August.  I hate my hair!!!  I'm tempted to chop it all off.  I just don't think that long hair is flattering on me.  My hair is thin and flat.  Well, it's frizzy now...  But yeah.  I need a change.  Affordable hairstylists are hard to come by down here.  I *KNEW* I should have gone to hair school!  There is a hair school around the corner, but, I'm lazy.  And then there's the issue of what to do once I get there.  Do I want to stay blonde?  Do I want to keep most of the length?  Should I just shave it off and start over?  Hair. Stupid hair.  I love changing it, but I feel like I've done everything I'm comfortable with.  So I need to do something I'm uncomfortable with, and then maybe I'll be happy.



Lily's newest thing she says is: "P U, dat stink!"  Her first sentence.  I'm so proud. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment