Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Division and Contention

Sometimes I am not emotionally prepared to receive immediate feedback for the thoughts I share with others.  In those cases, I choose to post the thought on my blog rather than on Facebook.


I read something in my scripture study last night that doesn't change the way I *feel* about certain issues within the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, but it definitely will change the way I express my opinions and deeply held beliefs to those who do not agree with me.






Alma 51:22-27.  The Nephites were fighting amongst themselves because they wanted to change some of the laws in the land.  Because of this contention, the Lamanites were able to gain power over the Nephites and take over several of their cities.


What I applied to myself from this: Division and contention destroy peace, and weaken us to the tactics of Satan.


I am going to try harder to be more understanding of opposing views.  Let us all remember who the real "enemy" is (to steal a line from Catching Fire :-) ). Let's come together and work together to strengthen and lift one another. Let's focus on each other's strengths and talents.  Build each other up!  Put a smile on someone's face.

Times are hard enough, let's not make them harder.

4 comments:

  1. I like this post. Unfortuatnely, I think we are doomed to repeat that part of history but maybe if we make a small effort within our homes and friendships, we can have peace and love regardless of the world raging around us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, we are probably doomed to repeat history. It just seems like every time conference is about to roll around, something political happens and distracts us from what we should be focusing on. Women want the priesthood? Great, let them ask. It's not my place to tell them they're right or wrong in wanting that, and it's not my place to judge them for the way they feel. All I can do is pray about the issue and try to understand the answers I'm given.

      Delete
  2. You (and the scriptures) are so right! I've washed my hands of stupid arguments on facebook. Seriously, no matter how good the intentions are behind an argument...it just never does any good to sling mud and argue. Sure, we can share feelings, but unfortunately, more often than not, those feelings are expressed in heated moments and are never thoroughly thought through. Good scriptural observation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! I also think that too much emphasis is put on trying to get your own point across rather than trying to understand the other side. It's a difficult line to walk though, because where is the line between being sympathetic, and standing up for what you believe?

      Delete